Meet Rene England: surfing aficionado, military man and decontamination expert
Professionally, Rene’s experience spans many disciplines, from the military, construction, engineering, chemical handling and spill management, to asbestos awareness, security, firefighting, and now methamphetamine decontamination. Rene is also one of the few New Zealanders who has completed the Methamphetamine Decontamination Technician training and certification in Salt Lake City, Utah – America. He is also qualified in Chemical Handling and Spill Management and has his Amdecon Methamphetamine Laboratory Decontamination Certification (just to name a few).
Yet it’s not all about work. There’s nothing like finding out someone’s Carpool Karaoke song and coveted super power to get to know them, so we asked Rene to answer a few revealing questions.
- What do you love most about your job? Aside from the hard work and getting down and dirty, which I have always loved, I enjoy bringing the life back into a home and spreading awareness and educating people on the issues and effects that methamphetamine abuse and manufacture have on our society. At the end of the day, I get to go home with a smile on my face, knowing I’ve helped someone, somewhere. That is what gets me out of bed in the morning.
- How would you describe your job to a 7 year old? It’s an interesting job to say the least; you definitely get to see some very, very strange things. There’s never a dull day.
- If you weren’t in your current role, what would you be doing? At present I can’t see myself anywhere else.
- What’s your favourite holiday destination and why? Bali, I just love the surfing, love the Balinese people, the food is great, and the culture is amazing. You can’t go wrong.
- If you could have dinner with anyone alive or dead, who would you choose and why? Elon Musk. Whilst being a genius and a multi-billionaire, he is continually driving the world to new heights, pushing technology to the limits and expanding the boundaries of mankind. He stays humble, honest and ambitious and he is also a member of the Giving Pledge. Created in 2010 by notable philanthropists Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, members donate at least 50 percent of their net worth.
- What’s your proudest achievement? Receiving my Red Diamond on the completion of Corps training as a Rifleman in the Royal New Zealand Infantry Corps – NZ Army.
- If you had to do Carpool Karaoke, what song would you sing? Roxanne – The Police.
- What would be your one super power? Time manipulation. There is never enough time.
- What’s the last photo you took? Standing on the beach of beautiful Ubud, Bali.
- What’s your perfect pizza? Pizza Louise: chicken and cranberry, you’ve got to love chicken and cranberry.